I have an obsession with cinnamon rolls. Flat out, not an exaggeration. This one time while I was doing some shopping in the market (Pike Place) and I stopped by Cinnamon Works on my way home because they had these massive cinnamon rolls that I thought would be a nice treat for my husband. I will tell you now, this story doesn’t really have a happy ending. When I got it home, I thought I would have a little taste, just to make sure it was good. Boy was it good! As the day went on I had more and more little nibbles of it. By the time, he got home there wasn’t anything left…I was also so ashamed that I feel the need to tell him that I got him a little treat and then ate it all. Yeah, he hasn’t let me forget it. But, yes I have a serious obsession with cinnamon rolls.
This is what has brought me to cinnamon roll muffins. Very often, I want a cinnamon roll for breakfast but I just don’t have the time or the patience to do it. Because of that, I have developed a fondness for cinnamon roll muffins. Are they as good as cinnamon rolls? No, that would be impossible. Since I had the day off, and my husband is playing hooky from work so he can study up for finals in his Master’s classes, I figured I would make him a nice breakfast so he would have brain fuel to study. I forgot how nice it was to have breakfast together, or even just a cup of coffee in the morning.
I have been feeling homesick recently, so I love a chance to use pecans from home. Even better when they are covered in lots of sugar! I also have to admit that this is the first time I have actually baked since I started my new job. I feel a little guilty about it, but with Passover and getting used to my new schedule, I haven’t had much time. I am trying to do a better job of balancing everything, I know it will take time to find a good rhythm.
I will get around to making cinnamon rolls at some point (I found a recipe for apple pie cinnamon rolls, stay tuned for those) but for now these will hold me over.
Cinnamon Roll Muffins
Inspired by Some The Wiser
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Liberally spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a larger bowl, combine wet ingredients. Add dry to wet and mix until just combined.
- In yet another bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping. Take half of the mixture and fold it into the muffin batter.
- Evenly distribute the batter into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remainder of the topping and lightly press it into the batter. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool in muffin tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire wrack.