I have been waiting for inspiration to strike and it hasn’t been happening which accounts for the lack of posts this past week. It’s not that I didn’t want to bake, I just wanted to do something new and different. Today’s inspiration is thanks in large part of my boss. She was talking about making white chocolate macadamia cookies this weekend and it got me thinking. Maybe it struck something in me due to the fact that I have been binge watching Hawaii five-0 for the past couple of weeks, but whatever the reason I knew that I needed to make something with macadamia nuts today. As mentioned in previous posts, I am not a fan at all of white chocolate. If I am going to bake with chocolate it is going to be semi-sweet or dark, milk and white just don’t do it for me.
So I went to Pinterest to see if I could find something that struck my fancy and the think that kept popping up was something called Sausalito Cookies. Apparently, it is a cookie made by Pepperidge Farm with macadamia nuts and milk chocolate. That sounded pretty good to be perfectly honest, but as someone who can’t recall ever eating any Pepperidge Farm cookies, I was a bit skeptical. I just went to their website and low and behold they had a cookie quiz to see what type of cookie you are today, sadly, I didn’t get a Sausalito, I was given Chessman cookie. Although I am a little disappointed, I will make some cookies that are my take on the Sausalito that is bursting with semi-sweet chips.
One of the many tips that I have learned from my boss when it comes to cookies or anything that involves creaming butter and sugar is, when you think your butter and sugar is fully creamed, cream it some more. I couldn’t believe how different the texture is. It’s like my whole life has been a lie. I made sure to fully cream the butter and sugars in these cookies and loved how the texture turned out. Without further adieu, here they are.
These cookies were inspired by Cookies & Cups recipe: Homemade Saulsalito Cookies
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dry roasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a mixer or by hand, cream butter with both sugars until light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, soda and salt.
- Beat the egg and vanilla into the creamed butter until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and macadamia nuts until evenly distributed.
- Use a standard cookie scoop to scoop your cookies onto a silpat or baking parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes then let cookies cool slightly on cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.